Disconnected Rumblings

Monday, November 01, 2004

What a Weekend!

Well what a weekend it was indeed. I started out Saturday morning going door to door for MoveOn PAC, while Leah called people for the New Voters Project. Then we drove to Santa Fe for the highlight of my weekend. Bill Clinton and Teresa Heinz Kerry were going to give speeches at the Plaza in Santa Fe.



We got to the rally with the lowest type of tickets. The plaza was already packed when we got there, and we could not find anyone giving out better tickets. So we got as close to the stage as we could but we really had no view, and things were not looking good. Then all of a sudden I see the crowd towards the back start pushing the barricades forward. Next thing I know some of the workers open the barricade for them, and then I yell out to them to open our barricade so we can get more in the center in front of the stage. Sure enough they opened the barricade for us too, and we spilled into the center section.


We're to the far right in this picture, you have to squint to see us, but we are there!

Good view for me, not so much for Leah and Julie (not as tall as me). Martin Sheen came up and recited his poem I had heard him speak at the rally on Friday. Then Teresa Heinz Kerry got up and spoke for awhile. She then introduced the man of the hour, Bill Clinton. He gave a great speech, detailing why he believed John Kerry would make a great president, and asking all of us to help get the vote out. Bill I AM. We worked all weekend on doing just that.

After Clinton was finished, I grabbed Leah and we shimmied our way up through the crowd. I saw that Clinton was moving right to left shaking hands at the front barricades, so I broke left to find a spot to get up front and wait for him to get to us. Sure enough 3 feet in front of me was Teresa Heinz Kerry, she smiled and waved and I told Leah to get a pen out and have her sign something. So she got out a pen and gave her our ticket, and she signed it. Leah told her she would make a great first lady and she said thank you.

Then the President, Bill Clinton got to our spot. He was 3 feet in front of me and it was an amazing moment, here I was 3 feet from the former President of the United States of America! The man who Democrats adore, and Republicans loathe. The man who brought us some of our most prosperous times, record surpluses, and over 20 million new jobs! He was moving slowly so I had time to soak it in as I looked at this man straight in the face. I reached out my hand and he shook it, I told him thanks, and said many other things in my head that just didn't come out. He stayed their in front of us for what seemed like forever, and then he moved on.

We stayed and watched him finish working the line, (mostly because we couldn't move, we were so packed in at this point. Then we drove home.

Yesterday I went back out knocking on doors, while Leah called people.

Yeah what a weekend! Tomorrow is the big day! E-Day is almost upon us. Get out and vote! Don't know where to go? Find out at www.mypollingplace.com or www.newvotersproject.org/wheretovote.

VOTE John Kerry as our next president!!
posted by digitaljay @ 3:43 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment