Disconnected Rumblings

Monday, August 16, 2004

A new electoral college?

AlterNet: Election 2004: A An end to winner take all

Well? I am not sure what to think yet. Maybe this idea is a good one, or maybe not, I'm not sure, its at least worth some investigation.

Here is the whole article, its interesting.
USATODAY.com - Colo. weighs proportional electoral votes

I think it may be a better way of having these presidential elections decided. Basically the gist of the story is that Colorado may change their election procedure so that their electoral votes are not a winner take all affair, but rather a representation of the popular vote in the state. So if Kerry got 55% of the vote he would get 55% of the electoral votes, and shrub would get nothing, er uh I mean 43% (and Nader 2%, damn hack!) If more states did this I think it would be a whole different ball game.

Some say that splitting up the electoral votes would take away the clout of a state like Colorado, because candidates would not be able to count on winning all of state's 9 electoral votes. But I agree with Alternet, if a similar measure was passed in all states then candidates would have to visit states equally and fairly, and try to appeal to ALL voters. I think its got my vote!

Vote in November, vote for John Kerry. Click on the Kerry/Edwards link on the right to join the campaign. If you haven't registered to vote than click on the link above the Kerry/Edwards graphic.

I'll be back tomorrow with something better.
posted by digitaljay @ 10:30 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment