Disconnected Rumblings

Friday, January 21, 2005

Post-Inaugural Thoughts

Ok, I know this may come as a shock to you, but I agree with shrub's speech yesterday.

In principle that is. But the thing is I don't think it will be followed up by real across the board action. For the full transcript of the speech go here.

I mean the United States should stop supporting and or allying with nations that do not support human rights, or are brutal dictatorships, or the like. But I do not foresee shrub cutting ties with the Saudis, I just don't see it.

China would fit this description, yet we have very liberalized relations with China. Or how about Pakistan, yes Pakistan, our "ally" in the war in Afghanistan. See the thing is we would have to do this across the board, and completely. We cannot say what we mean and do what we don't say.

When the United States says they are going to do something we need the rest of the world to know that we WILL do what we say. And even though the spinmeisters and the Karl Roves tell you that that is what shrub does, and that is why he is so great, it simply isn't true.

I know, I know, the world is complicated. You are right, the world IS complicated, so then why give a speech that was so idealistic so as to mean almost nothing?

Why? Because when the history books 100 years from now look back at this Inaugural Address, they will write of the bold George W. Bush, who set out to change the world. What the history books will fail to record is just how successfully that was accomplished.
posted by digitaljay @ 2:11 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment