Disconnected Rumblings

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Fair Credit?

Ok real quick point. I was reading about what went on in the Senate the past couple of days and I came across this short blurb.

Senate Rejects Softer Bankruptcy Law
"By another 59-40 tally, the Senate defeated a Democratic proposal to require that credit card statements show how long it would take the consumer to pay off his or her debt by making only the minimum monthly payment, and what the total interest charges would be."
Not sure what else might have been in that proposal, but I think what is quoted here is one of the smartest things dealing with credit issues, that I have seen in a long time, probably since actual APR disclosure statement uniformity in credit offers was established awhile ago.

I really hope that this comes up again somewhere down the line, because people need to know how harmful, or shall I say, how much it will actually cost you to carry so much debt on a card. I can attest from frustrating experience that it is sometimes hard to quantify just how much, over months and years this debt is costing me.
posted by digitaljay @ 10:23 PM MST

2 Comments:

On Fri Mar 04, 05:14:00 PM MST, Blogger fm_illuminatus said...
Damn, I really wish the Republicans would have let that bill go through. Seems like something consumers could really use. Of course, by the time it his the senate, it may have had loads of other crap attached that was totally unrelated and a waste of money/bad for the consumer. Without any riders however, would be a nice bill.
 
On Fri Mar 04, 05:15:00 PM MST, Blogger fm_illuminatus said...
correction his = hits
 

Post a Comment