Disconnected Rumblings

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sad

Ok I really hate to have to say this. And I am not sure that if you ask me 5 years from now if I will have the same opinion. But having said all that, and after seeing the CT scan of Terri Schiavo's brain, and listening to the sounds she makes, I just don't think there is anything there besides a body.

If you look at the CT scan there are two dark, completely black, areas where the cerebral cortex should be. The cerebral cortex is what gives us the ability to think, to walk, to talk, to do most of the things that make us human. The image shows that this area of the brain basically was, I'm sorry to be graphic, but basically was liquefied.

Now watching Nightline last night, I heard them play audio of the sounds that Terri makes. I can't tell you how haunting those sounds are. Especially knowing what her brain condition is, to me it seemed grotesque, or of a monster quality. I'm sorry I know how this sounds, but I am being as honest as I can. This all leads me to this.

I think the only answer, and I know what you said NsA, about how the problem with saying that this is a family matter is that the family disagrees, BUT I think that in this case the legal guardian, is the legal guardian, and gets to make the decisions in this case. I don't know, I know that sounds cold. But I guess all we have left is the rule of law, if all else is stripped away. And I know some of you will say that all we have left is our faith, but my rational mind does not go that route.

These horrible decisions are made every day and they truly are horrible and the worst positions that we as caring human beings can be in.
posted by digitaljay @ 10:05 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment