Disconnected Rumblings

Monday, March 28, 2005

Wide Perspective

Just for a second I think we all need to step back and take a wide angle look at what is going on here. I am referring to what has become a circus in front of the hospice where Terri Schiavo is. This from the AP.

Protests Outside Schiavo Hospice Chaotic
"Jennifer Johnson, barefoot and in her pajamas, ran to her grandfather's bedside once a hospice worker said his death was moments away.

She got there - one minute too late.

Johnson said the chaos outside the hospice where Terri Schiavo is dying kept her from saying goodbye. When Johnson arrived, a police officer demanded identification; she had none. And after a hospice employee cleared her, another officer halted her for a search with a metal detector.

The delays lasted three to four minutes - the last of her grandfather's life.

'It's a terrible, extra obstacle to put in front of a family. ... Everything is about Schiavo,' Johnson said. 'It's all about her and in my family's case, it cost us dearly.'"
This really sucks. Having been in a similar situation, I would be livid if this happened to me.

Nothing was more important to me than being there when my grandfather passed away. I can't explain how important that was to me. And my heart goes out to Jennifer Johnson, who is a similar age to me.

I am now going to say something that some might not like. But what are the protestors outside of the hospice accomplishing? The answer is nothing. All they are accomplishing is gravely disrupting a family's last moments with their loved ones. Think about this. These protestors can show their opinions, in a place that does not inconvenience family members of critically ill patients of the hospice. Everyone deserves to die in dignity, and the residents of this hospice are being robbed of that by the very people who claim to care about the dignity of life.

That is all I have to say.
posted by digitaljay @ 10:57 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment