Disconnected Rumblings

Monday, August 29, 2005

Jesse Helms; Bigot

I know you all can't wait to read this:

Retired Sen. Jesse Helms Publishes Memoir
"Helms devotes an entire chapter to his views on race relations, defending his record challenging most of the nation's civil rights legislation as a 1960s television commentator and as a senator.

'I felt that the citizens of my community, my state and my region of the country were being battered by this new form of bigotry,' he wrote. 'I simply could not stay silent in the face of this assault — and I didn't.'

Helms suggests the South could have integrated voluntarily if the federal government had not intervened. He wrote, 'I believed right would prevail as people followed their own consciences.'"
Yeah right! Are you kidding me?! That is why the south had slaves for some 200 years before they were FORCED to free them and still fought the North so they could keep their slaves! What a ridiculous argument.

Severe wrongs had been done, and they needed to be corrected. To this day it amazes me the level of outright racism and covert racism that exists in the south. Yes I have been to Mississippi and Alabama. Yes there are still people that I hardly know who will start talking to me and use the N word several times and tell me that there used to be a time when they "knew their place".

What the f**k?! Wake up, this still goes on and people like Jesse Helms are helping to keep this backwards thinking alive. Shame on you jesse helms, shame on you! You disgust me.
posted by digitaljay @ 10:28 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment