Disconnected Rumblings

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Revenge of the Nerds

Yeah ok, so I did it. I was in line last night to see the first showing of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.



Yeah on a sunny day last month sometime I clicked buy, and had me a ticket to see Episode III on the first showing at 12:01AM on May 19th, 2005. Well as the time came I decided to go wait in line right after work.

So I went down to the theater here at about 5PM and there was a line of about 30-40 people there. I thought about it for a bit, and then came to my senses and realized I did not want to wait in line for 7 hours!! So I decided to come back at 8.

Well when I got there at 8 the line was now about 200 people long. So there I sat with my book on the sidewalk out front of the theater as various people snickering, and laughing at our ridiculousness walked by, to 350 pound grown men wearing Obi Wan Kenobi outfits walked by. What a bunch we were. There were light saber duals, and screams of "Let the Force be with you!" So after 4 hours of waiting in line the movie began.

My review? Well it was the best of the 3 prequels. Still George Lucas does not understand how to write dialogue that when actually delivered doesn't sound absolutely RIDICULOUS, and make even good actors sound like complete buffoons. Yes I am talking about Natalie Portman, Sam Jackson, et al. Not that damn hack, Hayden Christianson. Yeah I said it, sorry Hayden fans, this guy sucks.

But having said that I was entertained, although it had many flaws it at least tried to achieve the depth of the classic trilogy. It dovetailed beautifully into Episode IV, for which I give massive credit.

Now some have mentioned that there is a political bent to this movie particularly, that has quite a great deal of resonance in our current political climate. Without giving away any plot details for my loyal readers who want to remain unspoiled, I do believe that it is quite striking how the pursuit of power and being blinded and convinced that doing things that may be considered evil, is valid as long as it gives you more power is quite apt to some certain key politicians in our fine country.

No more for now.
posted by digitaljay @ 3:27 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment