Disconnected Rumblings

Friday, July 16, 2004

Bill O'Reilly

Ok I was talking to someone at work here about Bill O'Reilly yesterday, and I really didn't have anything to back up my reasoning for disliking the man, or at least his on-air persona.  Well thanks to someone at michaelmoore.com I have a few grenades to launch.
 
http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/index.php?id=22
 
Here are just a few highlights, or rather lowlights, however you look at it. 
 
He verbally assaults a son of a September 11th victim.  Telling him to shut up and cutting his mic off.  Nice.
 
Next up O'Reilly straight up lies on air about his "French boycott".
http://mediamatters.org/items/200405020006
Please read that actual article, because it has too much info in it for me to dissect here, but it is very well structured to show how Bill O'Reilly's integrity is questionable.
 
Now these are quotes from the man himself.

"We cannot intervene in the Muslim world ever again. What we can do is bomb the living daylights out of them."
Ok scary, and sad.  Yeah the answer is to blow everyone in the whole Muslim world up!  That is ludicrous and disgusting!  How dare you Bill O'Reilly!

"I have no respect for [the Iraqi people]. I think that they're a prehistoric group..."
This just shows how much O'Reilly respects people of other cultures around the world.
"[T]he ACLU because they're the most dangerous organization in the United States of America right now. There's by far. There's nobody even close to that. They're, like, second next to Al Qaeda."
The ACLU is a very valuable organization in our society.  They stand up for the people and their right to free speech, which is very important, especially today in the current climate, where SOME people would rather call you a traitor or the like for simply stating your opinion which is contrary to the Bush administration.  But Bill O'Reilly likes to liken them to a terrorist organization.  Yuck!
"Judges are overruling the will of the people, and fascist organizations like the ACLU are imposing their secular will."
Apparently Bill O'Reilly does not support the separation of church and state, which I happen to very much support.  And I will address this issue of activist judges overrulling the will of the people, since that has been uttered by many Bush supporters, but that issue deserves a post of its own.  Be on the look out for that in the near future.
"Bill Moyers on PBS, he's -- hides behind the label of objectivity. He's about as objective as Mao Zedong, all right. I mean he's a Far-Left bomb-thrower who actually runs a foundation that funds left-wing organizations. I mean the guy's a joke. Get out of the news business, Bill."
Now this last quote is very disturbing for me. I watch NOW with Bill Moyers on PBS regularly, and I find him a refreshing voice. Now while I can tell that he has a left leaning stance on things, he works very hard, it seems in my opinion, to make his stories as fair as possible.  What smacks of "irony" (irony purists [Leah I am looking in your direction] please, I know it may not fit the strict definition of irony, but go with it), is that Bill O'Reilly in the end of this quote suggests that Bill Moyers should step down, and not be a journalist because he identifies with a political affiliation.  How ridiculous!  Yeah O'Reilly, you definitely are very fair and balanced!  If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black...  Disgusting.   

Ok now I have supported my reasoning for disliking Bill O'Reilly, or at least his on-air persona.  If you would like to hear more of the story on Bill O'Reilly and Fox News I recommend the new movie Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism.  I think I may have mentioned it before.  Anyways I will have some more movie recommendations soon.  Stay tuned.


posted by digitaljay @ 9:53 AM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment