Disconnected Rumblings

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Just to check in

Well its Saturday, what has happened so far this weekend?  Not much.  The 9/11 Comission is going to issue its report soon.  I hope to god that it holds the Bush administration accountable, for whatever they did or didn't do.  Don't get me wrong if the current administration did everything right, then fine, but I surely doubt that they did.  Anyways.
 
Ok now for some links.
 
AlterNet: Election 2004: The silencing of the Dems
Well basically this article talks about how Florida Congresswoman Corrine Brown was basically told to shut up and sit down when she tried to discuss possible monitoring of the 2004 election, and dared to bring up the injustice to African Americans during the 2000 election.  If you have seen Fahrenheit 9/11 you know what I am talking about.  Well they struck her words from the record, and would not let her speak for the rest of the day as a punishment.  Kind of upsetting if you ask me.
 
AlterNet: MediaCulture: Times apology
Ok the New York Times apologized to all of its readers.  I have rarely seen this sort of thing.  Ok here is the quote.

"[W]e do fault ourselves for failing to deconstruct the W.M.D. issue with the kind of thoroughness we directed at the question of a link between Iraq and Al Qaeda, or even tax cuts in time of war. We did not listen carefully to the people who disagreed with us."...
Amazing if you ask me.
 
AlterNet: Rights and Liberties: Cabin Fever
Did you all know that there is a group called the Log Cabing Republicans?  Can you guess what the group is?  Ok I will tell you.  It is a group of gay and lesbian people who also happen to be Republican.  I know, I know, isn't that impossible?!  Well apparently not.  This article talks about how this group is having a hard time "reconciling" the fact that George W. Bush has pushed the Constitutional Ammendment to ban gay marriage with the fact that they are gay and Republican.  It baffles me how they are having a problem.  Obviously this party is not for gay people, its pretty straight forward.  Well apparently half or so of the people in this group have abandoned the Republican party.  I say good for them!  It is dispicable the way the Republican party has overtly declared its disdain for gay and lesbian members of our fine society.  How any party can declare that a segment of its constituency deserves no rights is beyond me.  I want to throw up on the entire party.  Down with hate!  Down with discrimination!

Ok now for some movies that I think people should see.
Preventive Warriors
I really enjoyed this movie, its a documentary that deconstructs the document that not many members of the media paid attention to; the National Security Strategy of 2002.  In it the so called "Bush Doctorine" is laid out in plain english.  The Bush Doctorine, for those not familiar, is the idea that preventive action is required in order to head off threats to the security of the United States of America before the threat fully emerges.  Well ok I think there are two distinct philosphies about how best to protect the United States.  One philosophy is the Bush Doctorine, get them before they get you.  The other is that we never engage in war unless it is the absolute last resort.  Well I say after the results of the war in Iraq and the findings of various comissions that intelligence was majorly wrong, how the hell can we possibly have a policy that relies on this sort of intelligence when there is a large chance that it is wrong.  I believe we must not have a policy such as the current "Bush Doctorine".  But watch this movie if you have the chance, I think it brings up some very good points.
 
Control Room
I have not seen this movie but I REALLY want to.  This movie takes an inside look at the Al-Jazeera News network during the beginning of the war in Iraq.  I have heard really good things about this movie, and I can't wait to see it.  It came here to Albuquerque for a week, of course the week I was gone back east!  I think it is really important that we see the other side of things, so maybe, just maybe we can begin to understand what is really reality, and not just take the fox news/Republican official stance on the war and the news coverage.
 
The Corporation
Now this seems like an interesting movie.  I have not seen it yet.  The premise is that the corporation is the dominant institution in our society today.  And that you can physo-analyze the corporation and argue that it is a sociopath if it was an individual.  Ok this is a bad summary, but check out the website, and check out the movie.
 
Ok I have to stop writing for tonight.
 
Ok one more movie.
 
The Truth Uncovered
Ok this movie is from the the director of Outfoxed, which I have mentioned in my previous posts.  Anyways this movie takes a hard look at how we got into this war in Iraq.  I think it is worth a look.
 
I am out. 


posted by digitaljay @ 11:09 PM MST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment