Disconnected Rumblings

Friday, September 02, 2005

Desperation

I have alot to say, but I am going to wait until next week until I calm down. But let me just link to a transcript of the radio interview last night of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin. In case you haven't heard parts of the interview here it is in its entirety. I listened to the entire interview and it is quite emotional. There is a link to the audio from the link below.

Mayor to feds: 'Get off your asses'
"New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin blasted the slow pace of federal and state relief efforts in an expletive-laced interview with local radio station WWL-AM."
Just one more quote, read the entire transcript to get a feel for the desperation and frustration that the people of New Orleans are experiencing right now.
"WWL: What do you need right now to get control of this situation?

NAGIN: I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man... ...they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, 'You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans.'

That's -- they're thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can't emphasize it enough, man. This is crazy."
Indeed.
posted by digitaljay @ 6:35 PM MST

1 Comments:

On Tue Sep 06, 01:05:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...
This isn't a natural diasaster--it's a manmade one. For years, the good folks in New orleans begged congress and the president for money to build up the levees. And year after year, the funding was slashed. for years, the government has known that such a diasaster was one of the most likely diasaster scenarios,up there with a California Earthquake and a Terror strike on New York. Now, almost 4 years after 9/11, the Feds cannot manage a crisis. I'm sooo glad we're ready for horrors like, say, a terrorist getting off a plane in Seattle, with just a little case of smallpox;or say a radiological weapon set off in chicage; or an earthquake in Western Ky, where I live.

Seems obvious to me that this administration cannot provide safety;either in the streets of New Orleans or in the streets of Baghdad.

No coincidence that the images from both towns, including looting and chaos, are similar.
 

Post a Comment